Canyon Creek Chicks

The Women's ministry of Canyon Creek Church is full of busy moms and working women, but we believe in the importance and the power of studying the Word of God! This Bible Study is about growth, empowering, freedom and purpose. Join us as we study Scripture and are moved and changed by God.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

My struggles

Hi everyone,

Steve and I are living testimonies that God is miraculous. If you don't know us, a short background is that Steve is an evangelist and we live completely on faith, what people give to us and honorariums from churches. And, now, Steve is working for the every amazing JORGENSON HOMES (shameless plug for Rhonda and Russ) to help make ends meet.

I could spend hours telling you about the amazing miracles God has done for us. I will share just a few short ones.

A few years ago, there was a retreat that I really wanted to go to. I felt that I was supposed to go, but we just didn't have the money. For some strange reason (at the time I thought it was strange, but there was a definite reason), the cost of the retreat was $93.00. I was really praying about going and asking God to provide the money if He wanted me to go. I specifically asked Him to make it clear. About a week before the retreat, I went to the nursery to drop of Micah and a woman came up to me. She said that she and her husband had been praying for me and that God wanted her to give me "this". As she said that, she pulled a wad of money out of her pocket and handed it to me. It was one of those moments where I just KNEW that God was answering my prayer. I cried and thanked her and thanked God. And before I even looked at the money in my hand I knew the amount. It was one of those amazing moments. I remember saying, "I know this is 93.00" And sure enough, it was exactly $93.00.

We've had instances where we were just discouraged and wondering where our next meal was going to come from. Had God left us, were we following the correct path, etc. One morning Crystal (the girl who lives with us), and I were standing in the kitchen talking about God and following Him. It was a time of discouragement for me and I was really concerned with selling our house and knew we weren't going to be able to buy another. My son, Caleb, about 3 1/2 at the time, was sitting at the table eating. All of a sudden, out of the blue, without even looking up, he just blurted out, "Deuteronomy 6:10!". That's all he said. Crystal and I looked at each other and immediately both ran out of the room to find a Bible. She came running back and read Deuteronomy 6:10-12, "When the LORD your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to give you - a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant - then when you eat and are satisfied, be careful that you do not forget the LORD, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."

We have had so many "moments" like this. I can tell you about times that groceries have appeared on the doorstep, 2,000 checks to pay for a vacation for us, 500 check in an envelope stuck to our front door, 5 different cars that have been given to us, etc. And you think after all this, I would REMEMBER that God provides.

I really needed this week and this assignment. I have been extremely discouraged and Steve has had one of the hardest months ever. We have been really struggling and even before we started this study, I was saying over and over to myself, "God, I believe you can do it! I believe you! You've done it before and you can do it again." But there's a key word in there that really hit me this week. It's the word "can". I realized that I believe that God CAN do it. But, I'm not so sure He WILL do it. I have seen the miracles over and over. I have heard His voice. He has spoken to us through prophecy after prophecy, different people saying the same thing, talking about freedom. But I've allowed doubt to creep in. I know that God can do what we are asking. I know that he can set us free. As sure as I know there's a nose on my face, I know that he can do ANYTHING. But the believing comes when we believe that he WILL do it for us. He wants good things for us. He wants to set us free and bring us out of captivity.

It was really good for me what Di said in this lesson. When she said, "Wait a minute, that can't be right, that is not the God I know! The God I know does provide, rescue, set free, deliver, forgive, accept...." I just stopped and said, yes, that's the truth. God DOES want me to be free. And if He wants me to be free, he WILL do what it takes to set me free. EVEN IF THAT MEANS A HUGE DESERT EXPERIENCE. I have to KNOW that He sees the end result and knows the best way to get there.

So my praise report for today is that I was reminded of the truth and I believed it. I can't believe how easily I am tricked by the devil and how easy it is to listen to him. Ugggh, that makes me so mad.

I'm excited about this study and where it will take me. I have SO FAR to go in my walk with Christ. God is challenging me everyday with the experiences He is taking me through, the people I meet, this Bible Study, my kids!!! and so many other ways. I'm really trying to take my focus off of my own problems and look outward. And in that I believe that He WILL set me free.

Have a great day!
Christine

2 Comments:

Blogger Di Beals said...

Christine
I cannot tell you how glad I am that you did not go back and edit what you wrote. THANK YOU. Thank you for your honestly, sincerity, transparency and for being so eloquent. You are a very clear communicator, and very very encouraging. I for one, stand beside you in your journey, whether it is through the desert...or through a rich abundant land.
di

9:57 AM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Christine
I wish I could write as clear as you on your rough draft ha ha. You are an encouragement to me and I mean it. Just watching your faithfulness and your genuine spirit. You are a blessing to many and especially to me. Thanks for sharing.
Rhonda

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home