Lesson week 3
Good afternoon Ladies,
Before we start I want you to take a few moments to thank God for what he is doing in your life right now and then I want you to pray that he will speak to you in some way through our lesson today. Be open and ready to let go of obstacles that are hindering you from what God wants to do in your life. Be ready to be free in Him and desire for more. My prayer this year is that we are so hungry that we aren’t going to look in the past and see where we were either good or bad but we are ready for Gods hand to move upon our church, home, and in us. Now pray!
Amen. Something is happening in our church and I want to be ready. Just a quick story and I will get into the lesson. A couple of weeks ago I was bring my two older boys home from youth group. Keaton was sitting in the front seat and he was kind of quiet which isn’t normal for him. About 5 minutes into our drive he starts to tell me about what he was feeling. He said Pastor Jeremiah was speaking about the Holy Spirit and just knowing God. He talked about his experience of knowing God. At the end of the service Keaton was praying and he said he just felt God all over. He was actually tearing up as he was telling me this. He said it was so amazing that he knew God was there. Pastor Jeremiah told me later that Keaton told Jeremiah the same thing but it took him 5 minutes to actually get it out because he was sobbing. God is doing something ladies and I want to be ready.
Last week my husband and I had a little spat. Just to let you know, Russ and I never fight and I mean that honestly. Of course it was over something stupid. Christine and I were doing the Prayer Walk at the Women’s Retreat at Cedar Park. It was Thursday-Saturday. It was an awesome weekend. Friday was my birthday and of course I was busy getting ready to go to the retreat that morning but there was no happy birthday or anything. In my head I thought we could celebrate it Saturday but instead I cooked dinner did the dishes etc. Well to make a long story short we had the silent treatment until Sunday evening we finally went to Starbucks (the only place to go) and talked. The bottom line was Russ was so stressed at work because he was trying to meet demands and we had been so busy with soccer practice, games, church activities, meetings here and there that we forgot to talk to each other and pray together. He was allowing thoughts to creep in and needed that safe haven to come home to and I was allowing my mind to think thoughts of oh woest me and not having a safe haven and home. I was being prideful that I was right and he was wrong. How dare he forget something as important as that. We forgot the important thing which is the glue that holds us together---prayer, because we didn’t the have time. Ooops. It isn’t about being right it is about finding the cure. We were playing right into the hands of the enemy. It is easy to allow pride to slowly creep in and destroy something good. I feel like God is doing a new thing like in youth group with Keaton and it took that hard lesson to say am I ready? Am I hungry? Am I too busy to pray or spend time with God? Now Russ and I are praying together again and in just a week I sense a hunger growing in both of us for more of God. I want God to use me to speak in others lives but I can’t neglect the most important thing and that is my family. Are you hungry?
This week we are talking about Glorifying God and the obstacle of pride. Why did God create us? Isaiah 43:7 says “everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.” The Old Testament word for glory is kavodh which means “weight, honor, esteem” He reveals Himself through His glory. The New Testament word for glory is doxa which means “the true apprehension of God or things”. This is how we know God. Last week Di talked about knowing God and that we know who President Bush is but do we really “KNOW” him. Do we really KNOW God or do we just know some important facts about Him and go on with life. Now we are discussing Glorifying God. The two go together. As we KNOW Him then we can recognize His glory. To KNOW Him and KNOW His glory do we need to be perfect. No it says in Romans 3:23 that “ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” and it goes on in verse 24 “and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. Yes we are human but as we allow Gods glory to shine through us we will be changed into Christ’s likeness. One of my favorite verses is Galations 5:1 “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” Christ died to set us free from regulations. Not to do whatever we want because that would just put us back into our obstacles that keep us free in him. We live unselfishly. We can be FREE in Christ and know God’s glory. I like what Beth Moore wrote, “As they grow in spiritual maturity, the Spirit of Christ becomes increasingly recognizable in them. Likewise when Christ is not recognizable in a redeemed life, we want to identify and allow God to treat that area of captivity.”
We are recognized our obstacle of disbelief last week and pride this week. Again it is our prayer that we are free of obstacles in our way. It may seem like a big boulder or a small pebble. They are still obstacles and we want to be free. The big step is recognizing it. We get into trouble when we feel we don’t need help. What does pride do? It causes evil behavior (Prov. 8:13), disgrace (Prov. 11:2), breeds quarrels (Prov. 13:10), destruction (Prov. 16:18), deception (Obadiah 1:3). I don’t want this wall between God and me. We need to recognize what is keeping us back. Beth Moore said we need to do three things: “view pride as a vicious enemy, view humility as a friend, and humble ourselves before God”! If your are struggling with this know that you are not alone. Be encouraged by God’s word where it says “In our weaknesses He is made strong”. What the enemy means to destroy God can create a masterpiece. If we were all perfect it would be such a boring world. We just need to lean on God and His understanding not on our own. Don’t allow pride to separate you!
To Do for this week:
1.Read these verses and write down in your journal what it says about God’s glory: Isaiah 6:3, Numbers 20:6, 2Chronicles 5:13-14, Psalm 19:1, Psalm 29:9, Isaiah 42:8.
2.At the end of chapter 4 Beth Moore wrote a checklist with -that I felt were important for you to answer and share.
-Is my most important consideration in every undertaking whether or not God could be glorified? (1 Cor. 10:31)
-Do I desire God’s glory or my own? (John 8:50, 54)
-In my service to others, is my sincere hope that they will somehow see God in me? (1 Pet 4:10-11)
-When I am going through hardships, do I turn to God and try to cooperate with Him so He can use them for my good and for His glory? (1 Pet. 4:12-13
-Am I sometimes able to accomplish things or withstand things only through the power of God? (2 Cor. 4:7)
Just a suggestion, write these down where you will see them everyday and make it your prayer that you are making progress. I’m with you on this one!
3. Think about prideful areas in your life. Write them down in your journal. Then write down how you are going to get rid of this boulder or pebble in your life.
4. How is Isaiah 61:1 going? Are you memorizing it? I may ask you on Sunday you never know.
5. Share any thoughts from this weeks reading. Share, share, share. We want to hear from you!
Rhonda
Before we start I want you to take a few moments to thank God for what he is doing in your life right now and then I want you to pray that he will speak to you in some way through our lesson today. Be open and ready to let go of obstacles that are hindering you from what God wants to do in your life. Be ready to be free in Him and desire for more. My prayer this year is that we are so hungry that we aren’t going to look in the past and see where we were either good or bad but we are ready for Gods hand to move upon our church, home, and in us. Now pray!
Amen. Something is happening in our church and I want to be ready. Just a quick story and I will get into the lesson. A couple of weeks ago I was bring my two older boys home from youth group. Keaton was sitting in the front seat and he was kind of quiet which isn’t normal for him. About 5 minutes into our drive he starts to tell me about what he was feeling. He said Pastor Jeremiah was speaking about the Holy Spirit and just knowing God. He talked about his experience of knowing God. At the end of the service Keaton was praying and he said he just felt God all over. He was actually tearing up as he was telling me this. He said it was so amazing that he knew God was there. Pastor Jeremiah told me later that Keaton told Jeremiah the same thing but it took him 5 minutes to actually get it out because he was sobbing. God is doing something ladies and I want to be ready.
Last week my husband and I had a little spat. Just to let you know, Russ and I never fight and I mean that honestly. Of course it was over something stupid. Christine and I were doing the Prayer Walk at the Women’s Retreat at Cedar Park. It was Thursday-Saturday. It was an awesome weekend. Friday was my birthday and of course I was busy getting ready to go to the retreat that morning but there was no happy birthday or anything. In my head I thought we could celebrate it Saturday but instead I cooked dinner did the dishes etc. Well to make a long story short we had the silent treatment until Sunday evening we finally went to Starbucks (the only place to go) and talked. The bottom line was Russ was so stressed at work because he was trying to meet demands and we had been so busy with soccer practice, games, church activities, meetings here and there that we forgot to talk to each other and pray together. He was allowing thoughts to creep in and needed that safe haven to come home to and I was allowing my mind to think thoughts of oh woest me and not having a safe haven and home. I was being prideful that I was right and he was wrong. How dare he forget something as important as that. We forgot the important thing which is the glue that holds us together---prayer, because we didn’t the have time. Ooops. It isn’t about being right it is about finding the cure. We were playing right into the hands of the enemy. It is easy to allow pride to slowly creep in and destroy something good. I feel like God is doing a new thing like in youth group with Keaton and it took that hard lesson to say am I ready? Am I hungry? Am I too busy to pray or spend time with God? Now Russ and I are praying together again and in just a week I sense a hunger growing in both of us for more of God. I want God to use me to speak in others lives but I can’t neglect the most important thing and that is my family. Are you hungry?
This week we are talking about Glorifying God and the obstacle of pride. Why did God create us? Isaiah 43:7 says “everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.” The Old Testament word for glory is kavodh which means “weight, honor, esteem” He reveals Himself through His glory. The New Testament word for glory is doxa which means “the true apprehension of God or things”. This is how we know God. Last week Di talked about knowing God and that we know who President Bush is but do we really “KNOW” him. Do we really KNOW God or do we just know some important facts about Him and go on with life. Now we are discussing Glorifying God. The two go together. As we KNOW Him then we can recognize His glory. To KNOW Him and KNOW His glory do we need to be perfect. No it says in Romans 3:23 that “ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” and it goes on in verse 24 “and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. Yes we are human but as we allow Gods glory to shine through us we will be changed into Christ’s likeness. One of my favorite verses is Galations 5:1 “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” Christ died to set us free from regulations. Not to do whatever we want because that would just put us back into our obstacles that keep us free in him. We live unselfishly. We can be FREE in Christ and know God’s glory. I like what Beth Moore wrote, “As they grow in spiritual maturity, the Spirit of Christ becomes increasingly recognizable in them. Likewise when Christ is not recognizable in a redeemed life, we want to identify and allow God to treat that area of captivity.”
We are recognized our obstacle of disbelief last week and pride this week. Again it is our prayer that we are free of obstacles in our way. It may seem like a big boulder or a small pebble. They are still obstacles and we want to be free. The big step is recognizing it. We get into trouble when we feel we don’t need help. What does pride do? It causes evil behavior (Prov. 8:13), disgrace (Prov. 11:2), breeds quarrels (Prov. 13:10), destruction (Prov. 16:18), deception (Obadiah 1:3). I don’t want this wall between God and me. We need to recognize what is keeping us back. Beth Moore said we need to do three things: “view pride as a vicious enemy, view humility as a friend, and humble ourselves before God”! If your are struggling with this know that you are not alone. Be encouraged by God’s word where it says “In our weaknesses He is made strong”. What the enemy means to destroy God can create a masterpiece. If we were all perfect it would be such a boring world. We just need to lean on God and His understanding not on our own. Don’t allow pride to separate you!
To Do for this week:
1.Read these verses and write down in your journal what it says about God’s glory: Isaiah 6:3, Numbers 20:6, 2Chronicles 5:13-14, Psalm 19:1, Psalm 29:9, Isaiah 42:8.
2.At the end of chapter 4 Beth Moore wrote a checklist with -that I felt were important for you to answer and share.
-Is my most important consideration in every undertaking whether or not God could be glorified? (1 Cor. 10:31)
-Do I desire God’s glory or my own? (John 8:50, 54)
-In my service to others, is my sincere hope that they will somehow see God in me? (1 Pet 4:10-11)
-When I am going through hardships, do I turn to God and try to cooperate with Him so He can use them for my good and for His glory? (1 Pet. 4:12-13
-Am I sometimes able to accomplish things or withstand things only through the power of God? (2 Cor. 4:7)
Just a suggestion, write these down where you will see them everyday and make it your prayer that you are making progress. I’m with you on this one!
3. Think about prideful areas in your life. Write them down in your journal. Then write down how you are going to get rid of this boulder or pebble in your life.
4. How is Isaiah 61:1 going? Are you memorizing it? I may ask you on Sunday you never know.
5. Share any thoughts from this weeks reading. Share, share, share. We want to hear from you!
Rhonda
3 Comments:
Happy Monday girls. I know many of you probably haven't had a chance to read today's lesson yet, but I couldn't wait for someone else to make the first comment. If you haven't yet, read her lesson FIRST, before this comment.
Rhonda was right on in what she wrote today. In fact I am 100 percent positive that she was led by the Holy Spirit so make sure you really read the lesson carefully.
I agree that God is "about to" do something at Canyon Creek, in us. I sense it too. But I will be the first to be honest and say the number one thing that keeps God from moving in ME is my pride. And if He can't move in me, He is hindered at Canyon Creek because that is where I go to church. Pride is without a doubt my number one struggle. But I am positive that many times we don't understand the definition of pride! But to get that, we first have to understand what Rhonda is teaching on: "To Glorify God." That is why we are on earth, to bring glory to God. God's glory is how He makes himself known, or shows himself mighty; and HE WANTS TO MAKE HIMSELF KNOWN AND SHOW HIMSELF MIGHTY. As we grow as Christians, God's glory should be increasingly more recognizable to others, because He wants to make Himself known! If God is not evident in you to others, then it is time to self evaluate. And that is what I have been doing for the past couple of weeks. Evaluating, calling the pride pride and REPENTING.
See we think pride is patting ourselves on the back and wishing everyone would tell us how great we are. That is one aspect. But pride for me is thinking I don't need any help, I am strong and can do things on my own and those thoughts and actions ALWAYS lead to having a critical attitude, being judgmental (thinking I can do something better) and feeling like no one appreciates me. PRIDE KEEPS ME FROM GLORIFYING GOD, THE VERY THING I WANT TO DO THE MOST! It is so tragic! Maybe for you pride rears up in thinking that you are too far gone or too sinful or too "bad" to save. Or maybe you have "false humility" always putting yourself down, that also is a form or pride. Whatever it is, pride CAN and WILL hinder this work God wants to do in us, and in our church. Are you willing to self evaluate this week? Call out the pride? Repent? Well I am leading the way. I am prideful, judgmental, and critical. If I have offended even one of you by my actions/attitude, please forgive me, I am truly sorry.
Come on everyone, I don't want to miss what God has, I want to worship and not criticize the service or the music or whatever. I want to embrace people and not judge. I want God to be GOD in me. Where are you at? Please share, honesty and humility (and repentance) are the keys to the jail cell of pride.
THanks Rhonda....for pushing me. I am memorizing Isaiah 61 so please ask me.
di
I just finished the chapters for this week and i think the main thing i deal with, from a pride stand point, is failure. To try and fail or try and potentially fail is really hard for me. Things need to have the apperance of perfect or else i have failed. I just remember as a kid being told i was good at singing and what else?. My sister on the other hand was good at art, etc.. and not singing. We got together this weekend and both said we were sorry for the other one having to be put through that. A kid listening as the other one was told that was not their gifting. Anyhow, to be back on the worship team and be asked to do things that have taken me out of my comfort zone have required that i give all the glory to God. I pray that His glory shine thru me and that the pride not to fail be gone. I can truley say it is God that i can even attemp to sing those alto parts!( That was just for Angela's sake!) How can we succeed at what God really has for us, if we are too scared to try.
Liberation & Responsibility
The teaching from the is book continues to challenge me- I see how far short I fall but as Beth Moore says "anyone who knows our God knows He is far too tenacious to be thwarted by our sin". What a liberating thought! As I get older [I'm "just" 51, :-)] I have come to realize life just isn't perfect- if it was why would we need or want heaven? As a young Mother I wanted perfection like most today- the clean house, well behaved children, perfect marriage, etc. I would get very upset if my "perfect" world wasn't "perfect". Funny huh? I do still fall back in to those old patterns but God continues to remind me of my sin. He also reminds me of His Glory- that's how I KNOW He loves me despite my sin. Ok- now what do I struggle with today? One thing is CONTROL (which is a form of pride). I like to be in control of my time & my money just to name a couple. I'm asking God to help me give those things to Him. This week I am going to Mexico with my Dad, 2 sisters, 1 brother & his girlfriend, & my niece & her boyfriend. I feel God has ordained this trip & I feel like He is asking me to trust Him with my time and money. I want Him to be glorified in my life. I welcome all your prayers. With this many people staying in one 3 bedroom condo- I'm sure I'll be challenged! Being a Christian for over 30 years I know my family looks to "see" God in me, I have a responsibility that overwelms me at times and I know it's only God's Spirit in me that will help me reflect Him to them.
Post a Comment
<< Home