Canyon Creek Chicks

The Women's ministry of Canyon Creek Church is full of busy moms and working women, but we believe in the importance and the power of studying the Word of God! This Bible Study is about growth, empowering, freedom and purpose. Join us as we study Scripture and are moved and changed by God.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Let Go and Let God


Hello everyone!! So I reread last weeks assignment on prayerlessness. I have known for a long time that this was an issue in my life. I have had a difficult time understanding admitting why. It wasn’t until I read this weeks lesson on legalism that it made more sense.
I have told you all before I am a list maker. I plan out my day to the minute. So I have “prayer time” written down on my schedule. It begins with fifteen minutes of worship, prayer, then read my bible. A lot of the time I even have a checklist of things to pray for. As a result of this set in stone prayer formula I began to hate prayer. Really! It seemed so boring, so routine. There was no joy, passion, peace, nothing. Just something else to cross off on my to do list. If I had a bad morning, yelled at my kids, slept in, my dog peed on the floor, I skipped the prayer time altogether. If I didn’t feel spiritually fit I chose not to pray.
Well after several days of choosing not to seek God I also chose to go through my life on my own. Feeling very alone and frustrated I beat myself up even more. “If only I was more consistent, I told a lie today, I was unkind, selfish, prideful, lazy. I didn’t read my bible, I didn’t pray before I ate.” Then maybe I would “feel” God.
Then if I had a good day, read my allotted fifteen minutes, was patient, kind, forgiving, humble… Where is God??? I am so all or nothing that I am completely missing out on a “relationship” with God. Either I am sinning and I hide from God. Or I try and complete some fake idea of a checklist to get on God good side.
So this week I am trying some new things. I went to prayer on Sunday morning. I don’t know how many of you go but I would encourage to try it. It was so out of my element. There was nothing familiar or routine there. I let myself go to worship or listen or read or pray or cry. It was beautiful.
This morning when I got up I had a time with Jesus. But no set time or agenda. I just surrendered the time to him. IT was our time to enjoy each other, not run down the list of needs and go on my way.
I love how Beth Moore describes her desire and hunger for Jesus. I am so tired of settling for this mundane legalistic life. I want to chase God with complete abandon. I want to stop putting God and Christianity in a box. There is so much more to this life. I can’t wait to read next week and continue on this journey of freedom!! Blessings to you all!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home