Canyon Creek Chicks

The Women's ministry of Canyon Creek Church is full of busy moms and working women, but we believe in the importance and the power of studying the Word of God! This Bible Study is about growth, empowering, freedom and purpose. Join us as we study Scripture and are moved and changed by God.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Presence of God

Hola everyone, from Mexico. I have been sitting in the sun today, and actually, thinking about all of you! As I read my Bible today, and Beth Moore's book, I was struck again, by my desire for all of you to know the presence of God in your lives! So here we go, on this week's lesson, let's talk about the presence (or absence) of Godin our lives!

Isaiah 64:4 says "Since ancient times, no one has hear, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you..." or when this verse is referred to in the New Testament, it says "no eye has seen what God has in store for those who love Him."

Many times I have felt the presence of God. I consider myself very fortunate for that. There have been times where God's presence was so real and "heavy" I hardly dared to breathe or I wanted to hide under a chair I was so aware of my sin andHis holiness. There have been times at camp, after seeking and worshipping where it seemed God just "showed up." I remember the Sunday night services back at BCA (our church in Everett) where I would pack my baby daughter's pajamas when I went to church Sunday MORNING because God's presence was so real and so addicting I just didn't want to leave! I remember prayer times and tours with the Firestarter (ministry) team where we would call on God and see His miraculous answers to prayer, there was no doubt He was present. I have more than just "fond" memories of prayer times at Calvary, our church in California. I remember the worship songs that came out of those prayer times, and the obvious touch of God we all carried with us from those times spent with Him. There have been times I have parked myself at an altar, vowing not to leave until I "heard" from God or felt His touch....most times my desparation for Him was met with the answer I was waiting for.. Him. But one memory really stands out to me at the moment, so this is the one I choose to share.

While traveling with the Firestarter (ministry) team from Calvary, we found ourselves at a church in Massachusetts. This was a rural church, with faithful, loyal DEAD people. Did I say that out loud? They were DEAD. Our job, as a ministry team was to go in and bring the life of God to these people; to bring the "fire", to wake them up. I remember the service that night so well, because we were terrible. Honestly, we stunk. All of our dramas were a mess, everyone made mistakes. People gave their testimony but the passion was missing and there was no conviction behind them. We were all exhausted. We had been traveling non-stop and ministering our guts out and it had all caught up with us. Brandon was so exhausted he couldn't even preach so a couple of us were tag-teaming a sort of a message. Our grand finale was this drama about people praying. It was about church people calling on God and people who didn't know Him being drawn to Him. Everytime we did that drama the unmistakeable presence of GOD would show up. People would weep, run to the altars, and get right with God. God would touch His people and they would revel in His presence. It is what I lived for, honestly, for years; being used by God and seeing others be touched by Him. So our team was all set up to do this "drama" but I knew that if God didn't show up, we would fail miserably. So I stood up and told all of our ministry team to begin to pray, right there, right then. Meanwhile, these wonderful, DEAD church people had watched all of our dramas and listened to us speak. They had smiled, and nodded their heads, and were completely unmoved. But as those young people began to call on God, louder, and with more conviction, those very "good", very "Christian" , very DEAD people began to crack. Suddenly the dam broke and all across that sanctuary people in every row in every seat began to cry. Or maybe I should say WEEP. Their dry, parched souls were dying for the Living God to rain down on them. And rain He did. Every person in attendance that night was touched by God. Every person left there knowing that God was real, He loved them, and they had just been in His presence. Including US.
I share that story because I find it hard to write about what we are often told in church to do; enjoy God's presence in the storms of our lives, (which is of course very important) when many (or most) of us don't experience His presence in everyday life! We tend to turn to God when things are falling apart (which is GOOD), but tragically, it's our everyday lives where we tend to miss God's presence.

My question for you is, if we don't experience God's presence, we likely won't be very alive and joyful. And if we don't have life, and joy, what is it that we have that the world will want? What DO we have that the world DOES NOT? We have a Savior, and He longs to touch us on a daily basis. Some of those encounters will be more dramatic than others, but all should be a part of an abundance life with Christ. We cannot take people where we haven't gone, so before we can EXTEND God's presence to others, we have to have EXPERIENCED it for ourselves. We have talked a lot in our Bible Studies over the past year about believing God and accepting His love for us, but now the next step for us is to begin to extend this to others; without rules and without stipulations.

Let's review the definition of captivity. Captivity is anything that hinders the abundant life God has for us. I don't know about you, but I do not want to be captive to ANYTHING that keeps me from experiencing God's presence. I also do not want to be hindered from extending His presence to others. Over the years I have seen the "unacceptance" of outsiders by Christians. I have seen adults not let teenagers into the sanctuary because they were wearing hats. I have seen young people have to remove earrings and cover up tattoos before being allowed to play an instrument on a church stage. I have seen disapproving looks and whispers as someone from the "outside" walks through a church foyer. I have even been a part of a church where church members were discouraged from letting their kids dress in Halloween costumes. That same church did a huge outreach to the community for Halloween, with carnival games and rides. Many people from the community would come (which was GREAT) but no thought was given to how "they" felt when they came to the carnival, with their kids dressed in costumes, while all of the "church kids" ran around in jeans and sweatshirts.
You see, we become legalistic when rules and regulations replace a relationship with the Living God. We become judgmental and critical and we put people under a microscope that WE of course are priviliged to operate! It is fine to have convictions! (conviction is defined as a "fixed or firm belief/state of being convinced") as long as we don't use them to "earn" our way to heaven, and we don't begin to impose them as expectations on others. (expectation is defined as "state of anticipating/look forward to with a degree of probability that something will occur)

So what am I trying to say? Canyon Creek Church is full of "good", hard working Christians. But I have to hit on a potential problem. Is it possible, that our performance as Christians, could take the place of our passion? That we could be so concerned with our "responsibility to serve" that we forget to worhsip and serve the Lord? This is a huge soap box for me, but it is also a huge battle. We, as "good Christians" can fall into the trap of loving the ministry of God more than the God of the ministry; or at very least, feeling that our service to God suffices as our love for God. When this happens, when our service replaces our worship, we have found legalism.
Legalism. Ouch. That is not a word we want used to describe us. At least I don't. Legalism, following the rule to obtain a relationship with God. There is no relationship there, and certainly no freedom. If we are to find freedom, we have to massacre legalism. We have to start with believing God's acceptance of US (we are working on that!), we take the next step by extending that same acceptance to others (a little harder, but with reminders we can do it!) and we break through that obstacle of legalism by not falling into the service trap. We continue to seek the Lord, not just the stuff we can do for Him.
The Bible says in Isaiah 29:13 that "These people come near to me with their mouth, and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men." Another translation finishes that verse with "they worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men."
How would you describe your worship of God? Obligatory? Stale? Regulated? Worthless even? Or growing, fresh, alive, or passionate?
My greatest passion for all of you is that you fall in love with your Savior. That you belive without a doubt that His presence is the only thing in the world that you crave and that can ultimately bring you joy and fulfillment.

Your assignment for this week:
1. Read the above devotional at least twice. Not because it is well worded (I am in a loud, smokey casino, it is not eloquent) but because I believe the Holy Spirit it tapping on this area. The area of making time to seek the Lord, to seek His presence. Not just to check it off your "to do" list as an obligation met, but because you desperately want to feel His touch.
2. Share with the group where you stand on this issue. Are you on track? Did you need to read this? What is popping into your head/heart?
3. Be willing to ask for prayer. It would make my year to pray for you to feel God's presence again (or maybe for the first time!). Would you pull Rhonda or I aside and have us pray for you? On a sunday morning, or whenever, honestly, I live for those opportunities.

Feedback feedback feedback! Keep talking! I am checking the site from Mexico. Keep talking and keep being honest! you are growing!

With much love and loving encouragement!
di

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Gouras said...

I read the chapters and feel like over the last eight years or so legalism has def. been broken for me. We have been put in several situations where we had to choose jesus' unfailing love for others or stay in a church box that is self serving. I can only hope and pray that others will come because of the witnesses they see at Canyon Creek.
I think the challenge for me is to be in His presence daily. To come back to a state of worship that i was once at. It is hard because i have been there and have been doing a bad job at an intimate relationship with Him. I know i have suffered as well as my family because of my lack of relationship. This book, etc.. has been exciting and i have truely been renewed each time i read. I know i am on the right road to a life long change, not just a temp. difference.
Thanks Di and Rhonda

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home