Canyon Creek Chicks

The Women's ministry of Canyon Creek Church is full of busy moms and working women, but we believe in the importance and the power of studying the Word of God! This Bible Study is about growth, empowering, freedom and purpose. Join us as we study Scripture and are moved and changed by God.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A Little Helper

Alright, I have to be honest here. I've had a really hard time getting the assignments done the last two weeks. I almost skipped this week's assignment. I could go into all the reasons, but would it really matter? I told myself last night that I would get the reading done today. Then Becca happened.

For those of you who don't know, Becca is my beautiful 11 month old baby. She is a complete Momma's girl. Just getting her pacified long enough for me to fix my lunch is a challenging task. She wants me ALL THE TIME. Even Daddy is not good enough most of the time. I have to be out of the house where she can not hear OR see me for him to do the trick. I can't even whipser without her crying for me. If I sit her on the livingroom floor and go into the kitchen, she comes crawling after me at the speed of light. She'll even follow me into the bathroom and if I shut the door, she's using it to pull herself up and bang on it until I come out!

Usually, that kind of overboard attention can be irritating. Who wants to do every single thing with a baby on her hip? Today, though, it was me that was attached. You see, Becca is the BEST snuggler! Lately, while she's sitting and playing in my lap, she's taken to laying her head against my shoulder for a minute or two. Just like that. She's in the middle of clapping her hands and talking in her foreign language and all the sudden she collapses on me and just lays there. A moment later, she sits back up and goes back to clapping her hands or reaching for my glasses. I live for these snuggle moments! Even my son, Jonathan, is jealous, because she only does it with Daddy and me.

So, this morning, I was holding her and playing with her. Again, she would give me the random snuggle moments. Then she would pop back up and I would sit there bursting at the seams with love for her. Don't get me wrong. I'm not a mushy mom. In fact, I used to think that I was a subpar mom. Other moms always seemed to gush about their kids more. They talked about how their kids were their world, etc, and I would think, "what is wrong with me?" But sitting there playing with Becca this morning, I could not be more content being a mom. I just sat there staring at her face and taking in every adorable feature. I'd play peek-a-boo, so I could see her smile underneath her pacifier. And I would pull her onto my shoulder and hope she would stay for longer than a moment.

It was time for her to take a nap, but I couldn't let her go. So we sat a little longer, with her head against mine and me rubbing her back. I kept thinking, "just let her nap here, you can hold her!" But the nagging promise I had made to myself to do my bible study was fighting with my desire to stay there with Becca. If I didn't put her down in bed, I wouldn't get the bible study done before the big kids got home from school. If it didn't get done before they got home, then it wouldn't get done at all. So, you see, getting the reading done this week was the hardest job I've done. I gave up snuggle time!

And I'm so glad I did. As soon as I started reading the definition for the word compassion in Is 54:10, I was hit. That is how God is with me! He LOVES it when I am a God's girl. When I chase after him and never want him out of my sight. When just a whisper causes me to cry out to him. And every day, every single moment, he feels for me like I felt this morning for Becca. The only difference is, he doesn't let me go so He can do something else!

The idea that God is sitting there holding onto me, just waiting for me to snuggle up to Him is overwhelming! And then I am reminded that we can't even fully comprehend how great and how deep is His love and I am overwhelmed some more. I truly hope and pray that each of you have an opportunity to realize His unfailing love for you as I have this morning through the help of little Becca.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl Forkner said...

What a great analogy Sonya! It is so true...how much God loves us but some of us have a hard time believing it. Like Beth Moore said- it's easy to say "God loves you so much" but much harder to say "God loves ME so much". Thank you for that beautiful picture of God holding us in His hands, close to His heart, listening to every sound we make. What this speaks to me is about my prayer time- if I could just realize how much He really wants to hear from me, I would eagerly spend time in prayer. That's my desire. Am I the only one who struggles with this?

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still have not done my reading!!! I keep reading everyone's comments and think wow I really need to do this weeks reading! It is great that I can be encouraged without even doing any work! LOL! I am going to do my reading tonight... or tomorrow!! Someone hold me accountable please!!!

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home