Canyon Creek Chicks

The Women's ministry of Canyon Creek Church is full of busy moms and working women, but we believe in the importance and the power of studying the Word of God! This Bible Study is about growth, empowering, freedom and purpose. Join us as we study Scripture and are moved and changed by God.

Friday, April 06, 2007

How much?

When I thought about an idol being God but not the true God…the one I packaged up and made to fit my needs I got a little sick. How many times have I put God into a nice little God box. Making him fit nicely into what I think I need and what I think He can do? It’s like I never actually took the time to get to know Him completely. I just got to know a little bit and took that as all of it. I’ve felt like that before with other people in different situations and it sucks. Oh we won’t have you do that Gloria because you’ve never done it before and it would just be easier to let someone else take care of it. Think about saying that to God. “Oh hey God thanks for taking care of that one thing but this other thing, I think I’ll get that one, oh and if I can’t handle it I’ll see if someone else can take care of it for me because I’m sure that you can’t.” Sounds kind of dumb considering it’s God who created the earth…and me…and you.

I know God exists. I have no problem with that. I see it with every sunrise, with every change in the seasons. But to trust Him with my day to days, or my year to years, I don’t know why that’s so hard for me to do. It’s like I want to do it myself because I have something to prove. Taking that step and trusting that God is going to take care of it…it’s just easier for me to rely on myself since I’ve never really been able to rely on anyone before. God promises not to disappoint us, that He has a plan that is good. I’ve limited what God can do in my life because I didn’t want anything to be out of my control. That’s sin. That is unbelief and a lack of faith. How much have I missed?

Romans 1:24-25

Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator.

The entire verse that Di wrote definitely hit home for me. It took me like 3 times to read it just in the study, then I had to pull out my Bible and read from verse 18-32 to actually get it. I have no excuse…none for the sin in my life. At church on Sunday Brandon talked about sin of ignorance…I don’t even have that excuse. I was pretty much born in church so the sin in my life has been deliberate. And for what? What have I gained in my selfishness? Nothing except regret and shame.

I know there is freedom and Jesus Christ and that is my focus. When that’s not my focus I focus on what I’ve done and don’t live in the true freedom that Jesus provides for me and I don’t find true satisfaction. Always a struggle but at least I can recognize it.

My computer is about to die so I’m just going to stop there. Remember that it’s not about what we’ve done…but what HE did on the cross for us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home