yearning for His presence
“The Lord will establish you as his holy people, as he promised you on oath, if you keep the commands of the Lord your God and walk in His ways. Then all the peoples on earth will see that you are called by the name of the Lord, and they will fear you.” Deuteronomy 28:9-10.
What does it mean for us to be called by His name? What is our reason for studying or doing a Bible study? Is it because of guilt that if I don’t do it I am not being a good Christian and that is what Christians do? Or do I truly desire to draw closer to God because I want to know Him more? These are tough questions. Yes I have done the “feeling guilty” motivation for reading my Bible or praying. I have also done the yearning for Him just because I want to know Him more and I can’t wait until I spend time with Him. I will admit sadly that the selfish times far out way the yearning times. Yes we need to pass through those dessert times when we don’t feel like reading or praying and God speaks to us during those times but God desires for us to yearn for Him!
Read Psalms 63:1-8
1 O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
2 I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory.
3 Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.
4 I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.
5 My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
6 On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night.
7 Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.
8 My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.
I think of the statement that Beth Moore wrote, “We are a people of Christ’s name.” When my children were born they were of course given our last name, Jorgenson. That represents our family. Whenever we are in a public setting, I want them to behave because it is a reflection on our family. They carry the Jorgenson name. We have the name of Christ. We call ourselves Christians. What type of a representation are we to that name? Do we have the automatic mission like Pastor Brandon was talking about on Sunday to have compassion on others. To be so filled up with Christ that you automatically comfort those that are hurting or you don’t even hesitate to pray with someone. Isaiah 26:9 says” My soul yearns for you in the night; in the morning my spirit longs for you. When your judgements come upon the earth, the people of the world learn righteousness.” Are we yearning for Christ? I know I am striving for that. I have really missed my quiet times with Him. I have been on vacation and things always get out of whack. I always have good intentions but I have a hard time finding a time to spend time in prayer and reading on vacation. I have really missed it. This month I have chosen to fast potato chips and seek God. (OK that was a really funny sentence) Russ chose pop so we are taking each others fast and we both are fasting potato chips and pop. I love chips and I had just gone to Costco and bought the big bag of chips when I decided that was what I was going to fast. I am excited though to see what God is going to do. I truly want to yearn for His word. In Psalm 63 David is desiring for God’s presence. I want to challenge you this week to seek out God. Make Him a priority every day. Dig deeper. I am with you on this one. This is my prayer this week as well. Throughout this study we have learned to break free now l’s be free and see what God can do through us and in us. Allow the Holy Spirit to speak to you. Be bold. If He asks you to talk to someone do it. If He asks you to pray with someone do it without hesitation. Lets be ready!
Assignment:
Just respond to this lesson. Let us know how you are doing. Tell us what stood out to you. If the Holy Spirit prompted you to do something, share please. Challenge us in any way. Remember we are all in this together!
Love ya!
Rhonda
What does it mean for us to be called by His name? What is our reason for studying or doing a Bible study? Is it because of guilt that if I don’t do it I am not being a good Christian and that is what Christians do? Or do I truly desire to draw closer to God because I want to know Him more? These are tough questions. Yes I have done the “feeling guilty” motivation for reading my Bible or praying. I have also done the yearning for Him just because I want to know Him more and I can’t wait until I spend time with Him. I will admit sadly that the selfish times far out way the yearning times. Yes we need to pass through those dessert times when we don’t feel like reading or praying and God speaks to us during those times but God desires for us to yearn for Him!
Read Psalms 63:1-8
1 O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
2 I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory.
3 Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you.
4 I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.
5 My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
6 On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night.
7 Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.
8 My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.
I think of the statement that Beth Moore wrote, “We are a people of Christ’s name.” When my children were born they were of course given our last name, Jorgenson. That represents our family. Whenever we are in a public setting, I want them to behave because it is a reflection on our family. They carry the Jorgenson name. We have the name of Christ. We call ourselves Christians. What type of a representation are we to that name? Do we have the automatic mission like Pastor Brandon was talking about on Sunday to have compassion on others. To be so filled up with Christ that you automatically comfort those that are hurting or you don’t even hesitate to pray with someone. Isaiah 26:9 says” My soul yearns for you in the night; in the morning my spirit longs for you. When your judgements come upon the earth, the people of the world learn righteousness.” Are we yearning for Christ? I know I am striving for that. I have really missed my quiet times with Him. I have been on vacation and things always get out of whack. I always have good intentions but I have a hard time finding a time to spend time in prayer and reading on vacation. I have really missed it. This month I have chosen to fast potato chips and seek God. (OK that was a really funny sentence) Russ chose pop so we are taking each others fast and we both are fasting potato chips and pop. I love chips and I had just gone to Costco and bought the big bag of chips when I decided that was what I was going to fast. I am excited though to see what God is going to do. I truly want to yearn for His word. In Psalm 63 David is desiring for God’s presence. I want to challenge you this week to seek out God. Make Him a priority every day. Dig deeper. I am with you on this one. This is my prayer this week as well. Throughout this study we have learned to break free now l’s be free and see what God can do through us and in us. Allow the Holy Spirit to speak to you. Be bold. If He asks you to talk to someone do it. If He asks you to pray with someone do it without hesitation. Lets be ready!
Assignment:
Just respond to this lesson. Let us know how you are doing. Tell us what stood out to you. If the Holy Spirit prompted you to do something, share please. Challenge us in any way. Remember we are all in this together!
Love ya!
Rhonda
1 Comments:
There are definitely times that we seek the Lord out of obedience and faithfulness, but I have really been feeling a renewed hunger for God. I have been seeking him! Fasting has helped because I am constantly reminded that I am making a sacrifice because I want more of God. Hunger is contagious. All of our individual hunger for God becomes corporate hunger for God, but that is not what I am striving for. I want more of God; for me.
Post a Comment
<< Home