Canyon Creek Chicks

The Women's ministry of Canyon Creek Church is full of busy moms and working women, but we believe in the importance and the power of studying the Word of God! This Bible Study is about growth, empowering, freedom and purpose. Join us as we study Scripture and are moved and changed by God.

Monday, September 24, 2007

Welcome, part 2!

Hello, all! I’m Sonya, the other half of the writing duo. Truthfully, this is the first study I’ve helped to lead, so I’m a bit humbled (and more than a little bit nervous!) that I was asked to join Di. Rhonda has left some huge shoes (running ones, no doubt) for me to fill. So please post a little about yourself, too. Writing amongst friends is so much less intimidating! I’m so glad that all of you have chosen to do this study with us! Please read and post, cause this study is only good when there is discussion!

Okay, so now for a little bit about me:

I’m 32 and, like Di, also a mom of three. My hubby, Andy, and I moved our family to Washington from the Dallas, Texas area a year ago last February. We love it here, and don’t want to move back! (Are you kidding? We finally know what green grass looks like! Buh-bye 100-degree summers!)

I’m a tomboy girl, which translates into loving sports, but still liking to wear heels on occasion. We are big basketball fans and still support our Dallas Mavericks. I’m also a black belt in taekwondo, and was in the process of certification to teach it. Then our littlest child, Becca, came into existence and cut that short. Oh, well, I think I got the better end of the deal. :) When I’m not busy raising my babies, I’m an artist/writer. I love photography, painting, sculpture, you name it. I also love worship; you will see Andy and I helping out leading on some Sunday mornings. I have NO aversions to Styrofoam or ice cream, but I do agree with Di that chips and salsa rock (I’m from Texas, how could I not?).

Of the many gifts God has given me, though, my favorites are giving and encouragement. I love to bless others! I love sending out cards to people for no reason, then finding out that it was just what they needed. My prayer is that this bible study will be like that for you. One big card after another that comes just when you needed it and encourages you to grow more in Christ, to love more and to seek more of Him. I pray that God writes through me to show you more of Him. If all that happens, then I will be blessed just to be a part of it.

For those of you who are new, I have one thing more to add. I know what it feels like to put yourself out there. When we first came to Canyon Creek we were desperate for friends. We had lived in Washington for four months knowing NO ONE. And as great as people at Canyon Creek are, it is still scary to open yourself up and share what is really going on in your life. Please, please do not let this stop you from being a part of this study! We are not looking for post after post that bears no reflection on where you truly are. Good or bad, we want to hear it! Because someone else has been there, or is currently there. Be real and honest. God will use it to encourage others. And in the process, you just might get encouraged as well.

I’m so excited to get to know each of you as we go through this workbook. Let’s get off to a great start! The work for this week is easy, just say hi to everyone!

2 Comments:

Blogger bryfam said...

Hi Sonya,
I'm so sorry for posting before you did. I hope I did not offend. I did not think about it until this morning. I am not sure we have met. We have only been to church once and I have only been to the chat at Spotted Cow once. I will be there in Oct. Mabey we will meet.
Heather

7:46 AM  
Blogger Sonya Day said...

There is no offence! I'm glad you posted. If I hadn't have found a little free time last night to post, you would not have been the only one. No worries!

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home