Canyon Creek Chicks

The Women's ministry of Canyon Creek Church is full of busy moms and working women, but we believe in the importance and the power of studying the Word of God! This Bible Study is about growth, empowering, freedom and purpose. Join us as we study Scripture and are moved and changed by God.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Are My Wires Crossed?

As Sonya was describing how useless the fans are when they're not plugged in, my mind immediately went to thinking about what happens when things ARE plugged in, but aren't doing what they're supposed to! It's like a vacuum cleaner, plugged in, turned on, but not picking anything up! That's how I feel! I feel the Holy Spirit in me more than ever before, but I feel I'm not doing what I'm supposed to be doing.

This morning I actually woke up 3 minutes before my alarm was to go off. I had a dream of 1 Thessalonians. I didn't know exactly where in 1 Thessalonians, but the dream was very vividly showing "1Thessalonians" - so this morning I read that just before I started work. When I opened it up my eyes were drawn to chapter 4 - the title above said "Living to Please God."

I keep trying to find purpose in my life, trying to find my gifts and how to use them to serve God, to please God. How to serve others, how to help others... I feel like I'm turned on but not doing what I'm supposed to do...then I read in 1 Thessalonians 4:11 "Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody." My question then, is, how do we know if we're doing the right work "with our hands", how do we use our gifts to please God? I do feel like I'm on... I just feel maybe my wires are crossed somewhere.

Am I alone in this?

2 Comments:

Blogger Glo said...

Mari I know how you feel...you should have seen me about 10 months ago. I had no idea what I was doing but I knew that God wanted to use me. I wanted to be used but I found that I was afraid that I would fail which is one of the things that God is really working on in me. I finally just had to let go...completely, of all my fear, doubt, busyness, everything. I didn't just have to do it once, I have to do it at least once a day or I find that I'm not really doing what I need to be. It's a process but letting go was the first step for me, after that it's easy.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Sonya Day said...

Mari, thanks for being honest about where you are. While I was reading your post, I couldn't help thinking of Brandon's message the other day. He talked about being faithful in the ordinary and God would do the extraordinary. That is what I got out of that verse from 1 Thessalonians. I know how it feels to wonder if I'm doing what God wants me to do. Every time a new opportunity to be used comes up, I question if it is what I'm really supposed to do. Since the message of Brandon's, though, I've just decided to be faithful in the ordinary. And then He will take care of everything. I don't know if that helps, but I'm praying for you in this!

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home