Thankful for the favor
I love, Di, that you pointed out that Galatians is all about what you give up and what you get in return. The whole idea of working for salvation vs. accepting it is what really stood out to me this week. Most specifically, on day 4 when Beth Moore discussed the verse from Ephesians. “For it is by GRACE you have been saved, through faith…” (Eph. 2:8)
For those who don’t have their books or didn’t get to this day, she looked at the Greek for the word “grace.” It comes from the word “charis” which means “that which causes joy, pleasure…A favor done without expectation of return. It is the direct antithesis of ‘erga,’ works.”
As I’ve said before, I love to give gifts. It brings pleasure to the one receiving it, but I get pleasure from it as well. I don’t do it to earn friends or even recognition. I do it because I know it will make someone happy. I HATE, however, loaning people things. Especially money. We once loaned a friend money and it changed our friendship. All the sudden, there was this weirdness between us. He felt the weight of the debt hanging over him, and it caused ill feelings toward us. We watched him spend money elsewhere and wondered if he was ever going to repay the debt. When you have to pay a debt (work), there are usually negative emotions involved. But with giving, there is nothing but positive emotions.
And let’s face it. We would never be able to earn salvation. We are nowhere near perfect WITH Christ in our lives, how could we be WITHOUT Him?
I think when we finally give up the expectation of earning it, God can really start to use us. That’s when those fruits we desire start showing more and more. As for me, I struggle with each of them at one time or another. I think the ones that stand out the most, though, are patience and self-control. I inherited a temper from my mom. And if I haven’t been spending time with God, it has a very short fuse. Once I lose it, my self-control goes out the window. Every time it happens, it reminds me how I just can’t succeed on my own. I am thankful that God is the embodiment of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. I just want to spend more time with Him and let His character rub off on me.
For those who don’t have their books or didn’t get to this day, she looked at the Greek for the word “grace.” It comes from the word “charis” which means “that which causes joy, pleasure…A favor done without expectation of return. It is the direct antithesis of ‘erga,’ works.”
As I’ve said before, I love to give gifts. It brings pleasure to the one receiving it, but I get pleasure from it as well. I don’t do it to earn friends or even recognition. I do it because I know it will make someone happy. I HATE, however, loaning people things. Especially money. We once loaned a friend money and it changed our friendship. All the sudden, there was this weirdness between us. He felt the weight of the debt hanging over him, and it caused ill feelings toward us. We watched him spend money elsewhere and wondered if he was ever going to repay the debt. When you have to pay a debt (work), there are usually negative emotions involved. But with giving, there is nothing but positive emotions.
And let’s face it. We would never be able to earn salvation. We are nowhere near perfect WITH Christ in our lives, how could we be WITHOUT Him?
I think when we finally give up the expectation of earning it, God can really start to use us. That’s when those fruits we desire start showing more and more. As for me, I struggle with each of them at one time or another. I think the ones that stand out the most, though, are patience and self-control. I inherited a temper from my mom. And if I haven’t been spending time with God, it has a very short fuse. Once I lose it, my self-control goes out the window. Every time it happens, it reminds me how I just can’t succeed on my own. I am thankful that God is the embodiment of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. I just want to spend more time with Him and let His character rub off on me.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home