Canyon Creek Chicks

The Women's ministry of Canyon Creek Church is full of busy moms and working women, but we believe in the importance and the power of studying the Word of God! This Bible Study is about growth, empowering, freedom and purpose. Join us as we study Scripture and are moved and changed by God.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

With God's Help

I liked what Amy said about forgiveness. It is very difficult or rather impossible for us to forgive without God. Earlier this year I had the ultimate challenge in forgiveness; my now ex-husband asked me for a divorce. That in itself was very difficult to swallow. The next day he told me he'd been seeing someone for some time in the previous month. That someone was a woman I thought was becoming a very good friend of mine. I told him straight off that I forgave him, but the actual forgivness took some time. In addition to giving up control in order to let forgiveness happen, I had another challenge. Part of me wanted to be mad, shout, holler, throw things, but by grace I was governed by another part that reminded me "in your anger do not sin." I had to let go of all those hurts, all the sins against me, all the anger, and all my "rights" to be mad. I went to a divorce support group and most of the people in there were very angry, and I did not want to be. I'm sure others would understand if I was angry, or if I talked bad about Floyd, or if I did stupid things out of anger, but I didn't want to be that girl in the country songs. I wanted to deal with the situation the way God would have me deal with it. So, I took the punches, I shed the tears, I was on my knees and in His Word every night and every morning and throughout the day when I had time. God carried me through that time, and if I had not given Him control, I would probably still be face down in my pillow in tears every night. I am not denying that I was angry, I never denied my anger, I gave it to God.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sonya Day said...

Mari, I am in awe of you. To be able to turn that over to God and not dwell in anger is amazing! What a beautiful example of walking in the Spirit instead of the flesh. I only hope that if/when I am put to the test in such an extreme way, I can do so well. Thanks for trusting us enough to share.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home