Canyon Creek Chicks

The Women's ministry of Canyon Creek Church is full of busy moms and working women, but we believe in the importance and the power of studying the Word of God! This Bible Study is about growth, empowering, freedom and purpose. Join us as we study Scripture and are moved and changed by God.

Friday, November 02, 2007

My Holy Spirit moment...

‘Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently he starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself.’ C.S. Lewis - Mere Christianity
I hesitated to say "Yes" to the Holy Spirit because it didn’t fit the into the room I wanted to build. For months I have been praying that the Holy Spirit would guide me and give me clear direction of what I was to be/do/go, just give me something....I just didn’t want to miss His calling on my life.
A few months ago the Holy Spirit started nudging at my heart saying, "I need you to step down from a place you are involved in and give yourself fully to another." Hmmm.....that didn’t fit my plans so I wasn’t about to move! Months later the Holy Spirit again said, "Aimee, I need you to give up everything over there and I need you to give yourself fully over here." Again, it didn’t fit my plans I had for this room I was building in MY house. It didn’t make sense, period! How could God take me away from a place where I felt safe and secure? I couldn’t understand it and so I continued to put God off. I convinced myself I was where God wanted me to be and it would only make sense to keep heading down this path. I saw these Holy Spirit moments as more of an interruption in my building plans then anything else.
A couple weekends ago the Holy Spirit nudged me once again saying, "You hunger and have prayed for me to give you direction and here it is....STEP DOWN FROM WHERE YOU ARE AND GIVE YOURSELF FULLY OVER HERE. " But I had to try one last time to put up a good fight. The tears flowed and needless to say this weekend of wrestling with God was no fun. My passion to serve God, to be obedient no matter what, is so strong that I knew what the right thing to do was. I needed to be obedient without being able to see the outcome. I can’t see exactly what God is doing in my house. (Jeremiah 29:11) I wish I could end this Holy Spirit moment by telling you that something spectacular happened but it didn’t . What I’ve learned is that being obedient to the Holy Spirit’s calling sometimes calls for faith and trust. I will say though there is an excitement that wells up inside of me, a joy that I can’t explain of what is to come.
I urge you to stop and take a look at your own house. Are you building your house how you want or are you letting God build it? When God builds our house there is no doubt that challenges will come. It’s in those instances where we can decide to conquer them or run and wonder why God isn’t doing anything in our lives. The more we say Yes the more He will give us and show Himself to us.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sonya Day said...

Thanks for sharing, Aimee. I'm sure the change will make sense and have a great outcome eventually. And your challenge at the end is great. I definitely stopped to ask myself how I am building. Thanks!

5:44 PM  
Blogger Di Beals said...

atta girl Aimee, thanks for sharing...I am excited for what is in store for you too!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Mari said...

Aimee, thank you so much! I definitely feel sometimes that I'm trying to build what I think is best for me and not listening to what God has in store. That house analogy just made so much sense! I've been wanting to leave my job for various reasons and I feel him nudging me to stay...I have been reluctant, but have finally said, "Ok, God, I trust you." I'm sure there's reason behind it, God's doing it. Maybe He's establishing a solid foundation so He can finish building the new house that is my life! :) Thank you for sharing that!

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home