Canyon Creek Chicks

The Women's ministry of Canyon Creek Church is full of busy moms and working women, but we believe in the importance and the power of studying the Word of God! This Bible Study is about growth, empowering, freedom and purpose. Join us as we study Scripture and are moved and changed by God.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Post from Chris Willis:
"Everyone needs a coach..." We do all need real coaches in our life to help guide, direct and mentor us toward greatness and maturity. I have been blessed in my life with some very dedicated coaches. Many times I find that those people haven't always told me what I wanted to hear or even been known to upset or "offend" me. But the reality is, those who have done so in truth have only "offended me" because I wasn't willing to face the truth that God needed me to realize. There have been times in my life (especially being a Navy spouse and moving around often) when I've found myself lonely and praying for friends and people to attend to my needs. Usually, God provides those people when I need them most, but I have found that most of the time He has provided those people for me when I have the right attitude about that prayer. What I mean is...sometimes, I find myself selfishly praying for someone to come into my life to provide for me but when I stop and thank God for the opportunities He is going to give me to meet new people, I find that I change my focus and find ways and opportunities that I can be a good friend or "coach" to others. Sometimes (like Di said) these relationships are more about me attending to those people's needs, but often times I find that those relationships turn into true friendships and coaching opportunities for me as well.

I remember one time when I was feeling particularly lonely and I was praying for God to bring a Godly friend into my life. A new family moved in next door and soon after...the husband came over to ask if I would help watch his boys because he thought his wife might be leaving him. Odd, I thought, but ok... The next day I saw his wife at home and although my initial reaction was to ignore her or think it was none of my business, I went over and asked her if everything was ok. I could see the total shock and appreciation in her eyes that someone would care enough to listen. All turned out fine between them and this person who God brought to my attention surprisingly became one of my most "Godly" friends and coaches. The funny thing is...she didn't come in the way I had wanted or expected at all but had I not taken that opportunity, I would have missed out on being blessed with a very wonderful friendship.

Ephesians 4: 11-16 says: "It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work."

As Christians (referred to in Ephesians 4), we are all called to be coaches and encourage, teach, mentor or pastor to others. When we work according to those individual talents and put the needs of others first, we continue to build up the body of Christ and make each other stronger. There will be times of lonliness, confusion or trials when we are in need for coaching and mentoring direction and God will provide the right people for those needs. Often times I have found that I want to reach out to others but am afraid of rejection or of "bothering" the others. But, I believe if my first goal is to look for those opportunities to meet the needs in other people, then God will open the doors to meet my needs through others (often in ways that I wouldn't expect.)

Blessings from Rhode Island!

Chris Willis

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home