Canyon Creek Chicks

The Women's ministry of Canyon Creek Church is full of busy moms and working women, but we believe in the importance and the power of studying the Word of God! This Bible Study is about growth, empowering, freedom and purpose. Join us as we study Scripture and are moved and changed by God.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Are you wearing your armor?

Several weeks ago my husband opened an invitation to his 50th High School Reunion. That simple act started a testosterone induced whooping fest that I thought would never end. He was instantly transported to 1958 as a high school boy. The whooping continued with statements like, “We’re riding the motorcycle”, “I’ll bet none of those other old guys ride a bike!”, “I bet I have more hair than anyone else”. It was a fun evening, for sure.
As the testosterone-fest continued, I began to plan our trip. We’d have to cross Stevens Pass at about 27 degrees in the snow, face rain storms at any instant (it is Washington!), temps up into the high 80’s on the east-side, high winds up the Okanogan Valley and sand storms as we cross the Canadian border into Lake Osooyos. Yes, the whooping is still going on, but at least one of us is a planner. Oh, yes, I have to look good when we get there to meet all these “strangers”.
I went into the garage and looked at our riding gear. We have boots with steel toes, gloves with graphite-lined knuckles, jackets that have graphite arm panels, elbow pads, shoulder pads and rib protectors. DOT approved helmets, safety goggles and face shields. Our jackets are made of a puncture and tear and fire-resistant textile and should remain (mostly) intact in any situation. Knowing that we had “full armor” for the situation we could ride in confidence and relax knowing that our destination was worth anything we would have to go through to get there.
Finally, here’s the point. As we ride, feeling secure in our armor, I let my guard down like at no other time and truly commune with God. I felt so impressed as I rode this past week that God was telling me that if I could just trust His armor as much as my motorcycle armor He could talk to me more – or should I say, I’d be in a position to listen more. We should all be wearing His armor on a daily basis, but do we truly rely on it to its fullest? I am confident that His armor is much stronger than graphite knuckles and steel-toed boots. So, as I go forward in my civilian clothes I must also be aware that I am wearing God’s armor as well. As I trust His armor to do its job, I can rest behind it and listen to God’s direction. I can trust God’s armor to shield and protect me from all of life’s hits, because when I put it on I know that anything I face will be worth the final destination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home