A number of years ago I did a study for a youth group that I was helping with. The topic was on how God still speaks to us today as He did in the OT. The thing that struck me most was the story of Elijah, hiding in the cave ( 1 Kings 19), in fear. God was not in the powerful wind that blew, nor in the earthquake (i.e. He did not reveal Himself dramatically) but rather he was in the gentle whisper. This is what I have learned to 'look' for when I speak with God and wait for an answer.
Sometimes it takes a while for me be quiet enough to hear Him (it took Elijah 40 days before He would commune with God), but when I do, I then search within myself to see if I have a peace about what I have heard, as my confirmation.
Having said all this, I wish that I could say that I have perfected my times with God. I haven't!! Many days go by without reading His word, and while I do pray daily, I don't always take the time to wait for his response, or to hear what He has to say to me. (busy, busy, busy!)
Another lesson that I have learned about 'Discerning the Voice of God' is from a long time ago. I too, like P Shirer, was trying to discern God's leading about a singing career. Looking back, I have realized that I spent far too much time over analyzing the 'should I's or shouldn't I's", wanting so much for God to slap a BIG 'go for it' sign in front of me. I didn't get it, and instead decided, because of another circumstance , that it was not meant for me. But the deep ache / desire never really went away, and I remained confused.
SO ... the lesson learned here, that I realized after listening to a talk, is that sometimes we are given the talents and abilties to do things. These, coupeled with the cleverness and logic that God has also given us, should be used! Instead sometimes I think that we immobilize ourselves from doing what God has already blessed, because we believe that we absolutely need a 'big wind or earthquake', before we can proceed. Looking back, I should have taken a deep breath, grabbed His hand, and ventured forward to see where God would lead me.
My prayer would be that I have increased courage in all things, to do what God asks me to do and to also take the time to be still and hear that quiet voice.
Sometimes it takes a while for me be quiet enough to hear Him (it took Elijah 40 days before He would commune with God), but when I do, I then search within myself to see if I have a peace about what I have heard, as my confirmation.
Having said all this, I wish that I could say that I have perfected my times with God. I haven't!! Many days go by without reading His word, and while I do pray daily, I don't always take the time to wait for his response, or to hear what He has to say to me. (busy, busy, busy!)
Another lesson that I have learned about 'Discerning the Voice of God' is from a long time ago. I too, like P Shirer, was trying to discern God's leading about a singing career. Looking back, I have realized that I spent far too much time over analyzing the 'should I's or shouldn't I's", wanting so much for God to slap a BIG 'go for it' sign in front of me. I didn't get it, and instead decided, because of another circumstance , that it was not meant for me. But the deep ache / desire never really went away, and I remained confused.
SO ... the lesson learned here, that I realized after listening to a talk, is that sometimes we are given the talents and abilties to do things. These, coupeled with the cleverness and logic that God has also given us, should be used! Instead sometimes I think that we immobilize ourselves from doing what God has already blessed, because we believe that we absolutely need a 'big wind or earthquake', before we can proceed. Looking back, I should have taken a deep breath, grabbed His hand, and ventured forward to see where God would lead me.
My prayer would be that I have increased courage in all things, to do what God asks me to do and to also take the time to be still and hear that quiet voice.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home