Canyon Creek Chicks

The Women's ministry of Canyon Creek Church is full of busy moms and working women, but we believe in the importance and the power of studying the Word of God! This Bible Study is about growth, empowering, freedom and purpose. Join us as we study Scripture and are moved and changed by God.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Challenge

I have definitely been challenged by God's voice. I have done and said things that I never thought I WOULD or COULD do out of obedience to God's challenging voice. Whether it be God's directions to move away from family, take time out my schedule for someone in need, give of my possessions to others, or share God's love with a complete stranger; God has challenged and I have obeyed many times.

Of course I have shied away from a challenge or two. I shrouded it in a good excuse like "I'm too busy," "I'm not qualified," "I need confirmation," or my favorite "Oh my WORD, that CAN'T be God!" But if I were to be honest, they were excuses and they led to my disobedience to God's voice.

I hope that you have learned through our past months of study that God's voice is something that you can and SHOULD learn to hear! And once we begin to recognize God's voice, the challenging part comes when we must obey! I believe that God's word should challenge us, as well as God's voice; as His word is the primary way that He speaks to us. I also believe that God puts people in our lives to challenge us. I am not talking about your annoying sister in law or your difficult co worker (though those may well be people put into our lives to challenge us!) I am talking about teachers, mentors, coaches and pastors, whose job it IS to challenge!

I have mentioned before how much I appreciate the "coaches" in my life. Athletically, academically, spiritually etc, I have become a better person because of the coaching I have received. I don't want to stop here! I want to continue to grow and learn in every area of my life, being refined and tested and CHALLENGED all along the way. I also love to be USED to challenge others. As a mom, I love to challenge my kids to love others and be themselves. As a coach I love to challenge young athletes to work hard, push themselves, and improve their skills. And as a pastor, I LOVE to challenge all kinds of people, especially YOU, to pursue more of God!

There are dozens of definitions for the word challenge. Here are a few that stood out to me:
"a call or summons to engage in any contest, as of skill, strength etc."
"a call to battle, or to special effort."
"a difficulty in a job or understanding that is stimulating to the one engaged in it."


I love that last one...a challenge really should stimulate you and I to rise up to it, and to overcome it. When we do, we grow in our faith in God, we gain confidence in ourselves, and we lessen the fear that tries to prevent us from pushing forward in our lives!

As your coach, I would like to end this Bible Study with a challenge. Before I do that, let me give a quick explanation.

Many of you, associated with this blog, are casual readers. You speed read through these Bible Studies, or print them and save them for another day. Maybe you have all the right intentions of reading them, or posting, but never really accomplish that goal. Some of you never planned to actually participate, and even asked if you could just read along. I believe that God's Word does not turn up void, ("..my word, that goes out from my mouth; It will not return to me empty/void, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." Isaiah 55:11)so I believe that the work and the study that have gone into each Bible Study post have gone forth and will bring fruit in the lives of those who read them. BUT, I feel that I have made things too easy for you. I have made it so you don't have to read the chapters, or the Scriptures listed. You are able to read what I have studied, and essentially are eating regurgitated food.

For that reason, Heather and I will cease using this blog. In the next week or two, I will be formatting a personal blog that I will post these kinds of studies and devotionals, as well as quick thoughts and ideas. If you are interested in that, you will be able to find a link to it from my bio page on the Canyon Creek website. You are welcome to be a casual reader, or to not read

As for an online Women's Bible Study, we will have one. It will be housed under a different blog site, and will be made available only for those who are ready to take the challenge to go deeper. Although I have not entirely decided what form this blog will take, it will likely be in a discussion format, with study questions, points made,and thoughts, rather than a devotional style teaching. All associated with the blog will be expected to participate in posting thoughts, things learned, questions or comments.

Change is good. THIS change is good. It is good to grow, and to be challenged to work hard. And now for the challege:

My dream for you, each and every one of you, is that you will be women who are passionate in your pursuit of God. That despite circumstances, frustrations, discouragements, and difficulties, you will be a woman who will chase the Lord and fight with everything you've got. I desire for you to exercise spiritual disciplines in your life, like reading your Bible, praying, fasting and memorizing.

My challenge for you is to Pursue.
Pursue God. By praying, worshiping, spending time with Him.
Pursue knowledge and understanding of Him by reading His Word and MEMORIZING IT!
Pursue obedience by listening to Him, practicing regular fasting, and confessing sin.
Pursue relationship by seeking out those who will sharpen you, and by encouraging those who are currently week or struggling.
You are free to set the specifics for yourself, but take the challenge to Pursue God.

For those who want to pursue Him together, instructions for how to join the next Bible study will be posted in the weekly bulletin and online. Of course you are welcome and encouraged to pursue God yourself, but if you are not already in a Bible Study elsewhere, the accountability that a group offers is hard to match.
The challenge is for you to join in pursuing God together.
The chase is on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home